TO THE PUB! - J2


January 19th, 2018 - The Patricia Hotel





Excited about the new year, my friends and I were doubly excited to try and find some Supernatural filming.  During the days of Episode 15 of Season 13 we found a location via Twitter.

The location was the Patricia Hotel which is the sleaziest part of downtown there is. Like 2 blocks from the complete center of the homelessness and drug crisis. There were people handing out food and hot chocolate from Union Gospel Mission where I parked my car. It was pissing with rain and miserably cold.  My friend and I agreed that we'd just do a once around and if we couldn't see we'd leave and if we could see it would be short


They were between set ups when we showed up but quickly they were rehearsing with 2nd team of two walking down the street. We were like 'well if that's going to be J2 lets just make sure before we go'. When I left my car I didn’t even take my bag with my camera out of the trunk. I didn’t want to get all my gear wet but when I saw the shot being set up I ran back up to get it.

Sure enough Clif showed up with passengers and as he u-turned we saw Jensen in the front seat. J2 sat in the car FOREVER while they finished setting up the shot and all that and then they had their people with umbrellas at the car. Like it was MISERABLE and my feet were already soaked through my sneakers.  I’d come directly from work.  

They went up to the corner by the front of the hotel and we also saw a bunch of other actors, background and not background coming down from Hastings. Firefighters and people that looked like they’ve been evacuated from the “hotel” in the scene.

Episode cast actors were down by the impala.  One of them was TOUCHING THE IMPALA, kind of leaning on it with an arm out. I was all 'Hands off the merchandise'. Sometimes I feel like Dean is rubbing off on me.  Anyway J2 were walking down the street for the shot. Everything and everyone was covered in rain gear.  Cameras, crew, lights, EVERYTHING was covered in plastic.  They went up to the corner of the hotel.  Scene was a Seattle cop car pulls up and the boys are walking away talking.
First take they got a few steps down and Jensen stops, laughs and goes back. Fucked that up.

Second take they made it a little further before they had to stop and go back again. We were literally across the side road from them. I was trying to get photos but it was SO DARK and they were walking really fast because of the rain. I didn't have my SLR out because it was too rainy. Just the handheld and even that was risky with the amount of water we were taking on. 

So finally they got down to the impala which was tucked in behind the building and that's where they had the rain tarp to stop for the majority of the dialogue. Three other actors were standing there, one in a Cas coloured trenchoat with a shaved head, the other in a suit and the other I couldn't see too well. They talked to them and then they all piled in the car and drove off.  Then we saw them walking back and I was like 'that's weird, they would usually have Jensen drive the Impala back’.  It seems like any chance he can, Jensen wants to drive Baby. And rightfully so.

They hesitated for a minute and everyone stood around as they prepped to go again. My friend and I start talking about where we are going to go after this. I told her that we'd go for beer after to convince her to come out.  So, a set friend that I've made over the years walks over and we start to chat. He's always joking about 'Don't you have a home?' so this time it was 'Why aren't you somewhere warm?' We were like, "Actually we were just talking about that. We're not this tough, we're leaving like ASAP". So he's like, "Well the hotel has a pub and it's pretty good. He points up and the lights are actually sitting in the pub to light the street a little. He assures us it's good. Meanwhile we're both starting to get a little bit uncomfortable with the people in the area.  I know many of these people are harmless and there's no safer place in my opinion than on a film set, but still, we didn't want to linger. Union Gospel Mission had offered US hot chocolate or granola bars. We were like, 'no it's good thanks".  At one point a guy yells from across the street "DEAN WINCHESTER I LOVE YOUR CAR MAN" to Jensen. 

Anyway, so third take they were starting to walk off, we saw Jensen move his umbrella to see how much it's raining and then handed his umbrella to someone and do the whole like, Irish heel click jump before grabbing his umbrella back. We were hoping he was going to sing 'Singing in the Rain" but alas.   We watched them do the take one more time and then we noticed that Jensen got in the BACK of the Impala, which is why they didn't have him back it up. As far as cast, only Jensen gets to drive the Impala more than absolutely necessary from what I've seen. I'm guessing Jared got in the back too. There were 3 heads in the back and 2 in the front for sure. Bald guy in trenchcoat was driving. (Herein to be called NotCas)

So they seemed like they were going to set up another shot, we decided we'd go to the restaurant /pub at the hotel since our set friend said it was good. We walked up to the corner parallel to where J2 were walking when they were filming and then cross over.  They were standing down at the back by the Impala. I wanted to stop and take a photo of their prop sign but when I looked down to get it, J2 were walking back up the street right to us. Panicking I was like WE'RE GOING and we quickly headed away.

We went toward the restaurant and there was another crap ton of crew up there. We also noticed that their cables were running inside, makes sense since they had lights I guess but we hesitated. A crewbie that saw our hesitation was like "they're open, go for it" so we went in and the entry way was TOTALLY covered in their stuff from filming earlier. No tables or anything. I didn't know what was actually theirs but I'm excited to see on the show. 

We went in and the bar was right there, a girl we later talked to quite a bit was sitting there and we asked if we were to sit anywhere, she said go for it and we took a table not too close to the windows but in view of their lights so we would know what was going on. I sat facing the door (I have a weird thing about that) and we weren't too far from the bar but not that close either. Couldn't see the door but could see the entry way.  We ordered beers and food and sat there quite a while. Set friend was right, food was really good.

Soon, I realized that the two guys sitting at the table nearest the light were crew. Then I really looked around and noticed there was a lot of crew still inside. Not long after we got there I saw NotCas and the other guys from the scene come in and sit. We figured they were done since I didn't think they'd be doing that many takes of the boys walking in that much rain. I also noticed a lot of crew guys coming in and using the bathroom. Including another set friend who I talk to when I see him. He came and talked with us and first set friend also came in as we were finishing our dinner and sat with us for a minute. They had a little mini-circus set up just on the other side of the building but I guess real bathrooms are always better than the portable kind.

One big beer and 1 big water into our meal I REALLY had to pee (Sorry if that's TMI). I'd ordered desert (apple pie because sometimes you have to... lol) and I was waiting for a break in conversation so I could get up and pee. Then the server brought my pie. We'd ordered another round of beers for us and so I was going to have a couple bites and then run to the washroom.

But two bites into my pie I looked up and the pie master himself is standing at the bar.  Jensen.  And Jared. Only thing I can think of is 'FUCK I HAVE TO PEE AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE THE WOMEN'S IS, I DON'T WANT TO WALK By THEM!"  Because I'm paranoid like that.  I do everything I can to not create a scene as I leaned across the table to my friend and quietly say 'J2 are in here'. 

Suddenly I realized that the place had pretty much cleared out. Not that there were many people there to start with. We had talked with our server quite a bit while we sat. Learned that she was on her 2nd job of the day, usually has a really busy Friday night but knew it would be dead because of the filming. She doesn't watch the show and didn't really know the names of the actors. Also, that she was taking her mom to Costa Rica next week for her mom's first ever adult vacation She kept getting caught up talking to the crew people and then coming back to talk to us apologizing.  I saw and heard J2 order beer and stand at the bar for a bit. I thought they'd wrapped.  

I could hear Jared talking and laughing and all I could think of is 'WHERES THE CAN?'  I could see a door near the entryway right on the other side of the bar and I didn't want to have to go there because it's RIGHT WHERE THEY WERE.  The boys were talking a lot with the bartender and our server. So we were (I was) semi-panicking and trying to decide what to do. I mean, this is a legit thing. We would never have even come in there if it wasn't for set-friend. I decided that I was going to follow the wall with the mens room and hope the ladies is on the other side. Sure enough I manage to make my legs work and get up to go. I kept my head down and just bee-lined along the far wall from the bar. Thankfully I found the bathroom. So, I came back and sat down and watched them drink trying to decide what to do.  Seemed like an opportunity that was too good to pass up but we didn't want to intrude on them.  

They then sat down at the table across from the bar, just behind where the other actors had been sitting, it was going the other direction. The others had gone back out and filmed some more while we sat there and then come back and sat a while longer and then said goodbye to the crew that was with them and left.  They were gone when J2 came in.  On my way back from the bathroom I noticed they did have a little crew space between us and the front. Kinda between the bathrooms. While we finished eating they brought in a bunch of pizza and people were eating that.  So we finished the dessert and our 2nd beer and decided to go pay. No fancy wireless machines here and our server was kinda occupied with J2 and the other crew there. So we were like 'well, we gotta pay, lets head to the bar' where the machines are.  

The boys were now sitting so we weren't in their face or anything.  We went up and the girl we'd first talked to and she was sitting at a table next to the bar. She seemed to have had a few to drink that night and wanted to talk to us.  She was unimpressed with the filming and is not really interested in the boys. She was saying "I've been here all day and no tips and etc" Meanwhile our server is frittering behind the bar. The girl we were talking to said she'd send photos of the transformation for their filming inside earlier. We swap numbers.  The photos never did materialize but that's alright. 

Meanwhile I could HEAR J2 5 feet behind me talking to the crew girls at the table. A chance happens to extricate ourselves from the worker we were talking toand now our server is gone into the back. DAMMIT.  So we inch closer to the boys to talk to the bartender to see if we can settle up with him. He said no, he'd have to get our server. So we sidled down the bar away from J2 a little further and kept our backs to them.

She came back and printed our bills. I left her a HUGE tip after she had said that filming would kill her tips for the day. She was having a grand time saying that she couldn't remember Jensen's name and he remembered hers. She soon offered 'you guys want me to introduce you to them?' and I was like NOOOOO FUCK no. She knew we were fans because we'd told her earlier.  My friend and I were working up the courage to interrupt them on our own, I felt bad enough at that. She's like, 'No, I'll do it it's all good, they're empty anyway, I have to go over there.' And so she just fucking GOES OVER THERE AND I'M LIKE NO NONONONONONONONONONONONO. As she takes the three steps I see Jensen with a little pile of folded bills and things in his hand on the table.  I dig my wallet out because I'm like, "Well fuck at least if we're going to bug them I'll buy the next round" I pull a $20 out of my wallet and she's leaning on the table next to Jensen who is sitting across from Jared. Jensen on the close side, Jared the far.
I step up behind Jensen's chair as she's saying our names and asking if they want another drink. I say something along the lines of they’ve seen me before standing around in the pissing rain watching them film.  I wave my 20 as Jensen cranes around to see me and say that I'm buying the next round. I'm like, with my arm on the back of his chair (I realized later when I thought back to it) and Jared leans over and whisper talks 'We were going to run out [server's name] and the bill anyway.' with his phone in hand, face down on the table. Jensen agrees.  I said 'Well we can't run out on someone as nice as [our server] so I can get the next one.' Jensen looks right at me and I realize that I'm REALLY FUCKING CLOSE TO HIM and is like 'It's alright, really.' I'm like 'You're sure?' He's like ‘Oh yeah, we have to go back and film anyway.'  As I stood there I was totally taken with his eyes.  It freaked me out and made me realize the proximity I was to him. So I said 'well I was hoping to buy the next round in exchange for 14 seconds of your time for a photo.'

Jared smiles and jumps out of his chair, "14 seconds!" he says happily and kind of laughs in a good way.  He comes around and... fuck so stupid lol. I have my SLR and my nice handheld in the bag. But we use my friend's fucking IPHONE for the photos. So they set up with me and we're in front of the bar. My friend takes the photo and she's like 'the lighting is kinda weird.'  She shows me and Jared is standing over my shoulder, Jensen in front both looking at the screen. I don't even know what's going on, it's all too weird.  I have a moment of slight insanity while I stand with my friends iPhone surrounded by her and J2. For her I just looked up and said 'over there' pointing at the space between the bar and the table the others were sitting at. J2 obediently move over and my friend stands in between them and I was like, 'That's a little better' I take ones for her and then Jensen's like 'switch back'.  He makes a joke about the bad lighting being Jared’s fault. So I step up again between them and we take one for me going the other way. I thanked them and they sat back down as we grabbed our shit and headed out.  I noticed as I grabbed my bag that a bunch of the 'Supernatural' wooden crew chairs were there too. Told them to stay dry and have a good weekend, thanked our server again and off we went.

We walked out and they were getting ready to shoot the next scene. I was so fucking out of it that we were like taking photos of the exterior and the extras as we came out. We turned around and like the ENTIRE CREW was standing behind us with all their stuff. We were literally in the MIDDLE of the set and they were rehearsing 2nd team. Wow, did I feel stupid. They were standing out of the lights with all the gear. I was like FUCK and we backed up into the bounces and lights to get out of the way temporarily before we could get out of their space. We crossed the street and almost right away J2 started filming. They were coming out of the hotel, it was the start of the scene that they filmed of them walking down the street we'd seen earlier.

Right after I was really pissed off at myself. That was a great opportunity to explain myself a little with my fucking constant geeking and set visits. And also I REALLY WANTED TO CONGRATULATE JENSEN ON THE BREWERY. Also, I have the photo of Jensen from the SNS that I’m dying for him to see and I put it down right behind him. It was in my bag. But I didn’t ask I felt like we’d already intruded so much.  Yeah, so anyway.  That was that.  Crazy when it works out that one of the shortest set visits I've ever done ended in an encounter like that. 

Flickr Album of shots: 



Supernatural 13x15

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates