Boys of Supernatural

2015.07.12 - YVR Airport



There's a first time for everything.

As I explained in my post about meeting Misha Collins, I became a fan of Supernatural almost as a favour to a friend.  In the past months it's been thrown into hyperdrive as I watched the series and got to see what the boys who are in it are really all about as human beings.  Yes, the show is hilarious and interesting, but I had no idea that the fandom of this show was as awesome as it is (and somewhat obsessed) and also how much the cast and crew are using the shows success to help with various causes and positive initiatives.  I had an idea what Misha Collins was all about but it was Jared Padalecki that surprised me.

At the Supernatural Comic Con panel on July 12th, Padalecki was shocked when he received information about the purpose behind the surprise of a mass of candles being held up as the Q&A section started. Padalecki revealed this year that he had struggled with depression in the past and was working on a campaign called Always Keep Fighting in order to raise support, awareness and compassion for mental illness.  He and Jensen Ackles ran a t-shirt campaign with the money raised going to the To Write Love On Her Arms campaign.  Many fans, with and without mental illness, embraced this show of honesty from the actor.  In the summer when he had to leave a conference to go home to be with his family due to exhaustion, the fandom once again expressed their love and support for him.

At Comic Con, the candles at first weren't known to the panel and although the lights were an impressive site, the shit hit the fan when Jared was passed a note from one of the moderators with the card that had been handed out to the fans with the candles.  Luckily, he wasn't expected to speak for a few minutes as others were answering questions.  He subtly read the statement and the way it hit him was written all over his face.  He attempted to keep himself together and managed to swipe a finger across his eye without showing his feelings too much, but those that were watching could see the emotional response.




Later in the afternoon in an interview he admitted he was overwhelmed and that he couldn't believe what had happened. He still had the candle in his pocket at that time and was visibly still processing the enormity of what had happened.

It was then that I'd made my decision.  Throughout the filming hiatus I thought about how much I'd like to meet the boys from the show. As I evolved into the fandom, it became a must. Comic Con made it easy pickings, you know where they're going to be and when and it's only minutes from your house.  Padalecki had complained about Delta Airlines in a tweet when they left.  He also said that the CW was paying for the flights. Probably have a deal with the airline so they'll be back that airline.  They had started filming the 11th season, with Ackles directing the episode, he, at least would have to be back Sunday night for Monday.  Made sense they'd go together.  They ran the Supernatural Panel and then another Geek panel in the afternoon.  No direct flights from San Diego to Vancouver, but Delta flies San Diego to Seattle to Vancouver.  The only flight that worked time was arrived a little after 11:00 pm.  I'd heard that the boys were quite receptive at the airport,  especially Ackles.  Normally I wouldn't go to the airport, feels like it's too invasive of their personal time.  On set it seems, to me, like they would be more willing to interact, however I had heard differently.  Never know unless you try it yourself I guess.

So off I went, arriving at the airport around 10:30 to be safe. Lots of local autograph hounds and photographers there with a few fans spattered in.  I still felt kind of uncomfortable being there and wasn't really sure what I was going to do.  I took my Funko figures of Sam, Dean, Castiel and Crowley since these are the only thing I really have for the show.  What I really wanted was photos with the boys, though.

Flights started to come through and sure enough, just after 11 the distinctive forms of Moose and Squirrel came around the corner, Ackles in the black baseball cap he seems to love so much, Padalecki in a toque, both still dressed as they had been for the panels earlier in the day.  They split apart when they saw the small crowd, Ackles taking the main walk through and Padalecki going for the other exit on the opposite side of the information booth.  At first I felt like this was an evasive maneuver but when I thought about it more I feel like it was a way to get more signing done.  It would have been easier for them both to go through a gate together, sign a couple each and go using each other for a distraction.  This way they actually alleviated the crowd and allowed more people to get autographs.  Mark Sheppard (Crowley) came through right after through the same gate.  I missed him but the boys were a great distraction for people to do just that, miss him. Not faulting him in any way. Like I said before, I feel like this is way more of a personal violation than going to a set.  No problems here with him blowing by.

Anyway, when they split up I took two hobbled steps (I recently had knee surgery) toward Padalecki but then remembered, Jensen's the harder one to get. On set he's nearly impossible to meet.  So I went back to him.  He worked his way quickly down the line of a few people.  I had my phone out and wanted a photo but he didn't make any kind of gesture, instead skipped over it completely.  I didn't speak up and ask either, but I took that as a sign that he wasn't into that right then.  I pulled my Funko out of my pocket but I wasn't ready with a Sharpie or anything because I had really wanted a photo.  So he hesitated back toward me but kept going because I wasn't prepared.  He said he had to be on set at 6am and I realized later I missed a great joke about the director being a slave driver (he's the director).  Finally an autograph hound took mercy on me and allowed Ackles to use their Sharpie to sign my Funko.  He took it, awkwardly with his passport and boarding pass in his hand and lamented, "These are hard." I apologized explaining quickly that I was new to the show and that's all I had.  He handed it back to me and I thanked him, turning tail and making a beeline for his partner in crime, Padalecki, who had quite a mob on him on the other side of the reception area.  Interesting that most went for him instead of Ackles.




I approached Jared and people were getting autographs mostly with one or two asking for photos. I felt like I wanted him to know I was a fan, not an autograph hound.  I'd thought about it ahead of time and wanted to ask him if he still had the candle on him if I got the chance.

Things were relatively disorderly so when I saw my opening I stepped up and asked for a photo with him.  He said sure and I asked if he'd take it.  I don't do selfies, ever.  Last time I tried to take one was with Colin O'Donaghue from Once Upon A Time and that was an unqualified disaster resulting in the worst photo ever.  I didn't want that to happen again.  He graciously took my phone and snapped the photo as I babbled about finally getting a photo with someone taller than I am.  I put my arm around his waist at the back and for a second moved my other arm to almost hug him in the front, but I paused realizing that wouldn't be in the photo and I didn't want to weird him out.  He snapped the photo and  I thanked him and stepped away.  At one point during the rush he said that he wanted to get home to his kids.  I really, really felt bad.  Here he is, at Comic Con all weekend and we're keeping him from his home.  The thing was, though, he didn't stop signing, he merrily kept taking care of the people around him.  When he looked back my way I took my chance to ask him if he still had the candle in his pocket.  Excitedly, he said he did and asked if I wanted to see it.  Of course I did and he quickly produced it, holding it out in front of him.  I leaned in for a really close look at it and then stood back to take a photo of him with it.  I could hear the cameras around me with the paparazzi shooting like crazy, but Jared was looking at me as he started to talk about how amazing the gesture was and how grateful he was to the people that participated and set it up.

Unfortunately, my mind was running at 1,000 miles an hour and I didn't manage to process much of what he said, what did process was that he was focused.  On me.  He's one of the only celebrities I've met (other than Bono) who takes the time to talk TO you and not do anything else. He didn't sign other autographs, look away, toy with anything else, he looks in your eyes and focuses on whoever he's talking to.  It made me even more nervous and threw me a little bit, but I'm certainly not complaining.  There's a lot of genuineness and authenticity in the way he treats people and I really respect that.  I commented in agreement that what happened at Comic Con was amazing and I'm pretty sure my brain took a vacation as I just kind of stood there and watched Jared move his way through the people that were left.  I realized I still had some business I wanted to take care of so  I grabbed my Sam Funko out of my pocket and pulled the lid off the Sharpie, preparing for him to look my way again.

I realized then that he would stay all night if people demanded it.  I also realized that is probably how he ended up exhausted in the summer.  He just continues to give.  There were people that got multiple autographs and Padalecki even asked one if he'd already signed for him, but he still signed another.  I was hesitant to step up and ask for an autograph suddenly, realizing that he would, but he really should go.  I'd already gotten a photo and talked to him.  I had my time.  So I stood there ready and nearby in case he offered, but didn't.  He slowly worked his way away from me and finally grabbed his bag and headed for the door.  I have no regrets about letting him go without getting an autograph, he is such a giving person.  I will attempt to get one in the future, but for now I am ecstatic for my chance to talk to him in such a heartfelt way and also get the amazing photo I got with him.

Those boys of Supernatural, they are some good dudes. :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates