Steveston Initiation - Once Upon A Time


Well that's a welcome.

I recently moved from the Fraser Valley area of Vancouver straight into the city to a town called Steveston. It's a part of Richmond, but right on the south west tip of the city. It's known by it's famous 'village' area that still is a working fishing town along with all kinds of cute shops (including a vinyl store. Yeah we do.). It's also quickly becoming known as one of the filming hubs in the Vancouver area. Currently, the village doubles as 'Storybroke' from the show Once Upon A Time .

I couldn't help but notice they were filming and after having coffee with a friend I wandered over to the filming.  It was dark and the character played by Robert Carlyle was being filmed walking down the main street talking with two other characters from the show, Cruella DeVil and Ursela.  They seemed to be having some kind of dastardly conversation and I'm starting to think I should start watching this series.

My interest in this show has always been Robert Carlyle as well as Jennifer Morrison. So how lucky would it be that Carlyle is there on my first attempt?  After they filmed the same scene from every possibly angle numerous times, sure enough, Carlyle walked right over to the approximately 40 fans that were hanging around at the barriers watching the filming and enjoying the humour and conversation of the Production Assistants (PA's).

People were polite and worked their way through the group getting autographs with minimal pushing.  Carlyle was gracious and polite as he signed absolutely everything from the other side of the barrier.  A security guy made sure that everyone stayed on our side of the sawhorse fence.  Soon, someone asked for a photo and he was more than happy to oblige.  A few people asked and he kept saying sure and then smiled saying, 'Everyone can have a photo.'  Polite Canadians we are, always asking permission. I had him sign my 24 Redemption DVD cover (which he co-starred in) and he said that was a good time.  He said Kiefer (Sutherland) was really great.  I thanked him for doing it and headed toward the lineup for the photos.  He seemed to be alternating signing when people were setting up and taking photos once people were ready.  I took my time and by the time it was my turn with the photo there were only a handful of people left.

I stepped up to him and he smiled and said, 'Hi again' in his amazing accent.  He put his arm around me (not the tallest guy) and I kind of bent my knees to not look so tall and the photo was snapped.  I took off out of the way as more people filed in.  I watched him finish with the fans from a distance as he made sure everybody got what they wanted.  He turned, smiled and sort of shrugged while opening his arms as he started to leave.  People that were standing and happy thanked him and waved as he walked away from every happy customer.

On my way home I walked by the circus where the trailers were as I live very near there.  I heard a car coming up to a cross street and it seemed like the driver was having a good time.  He'd popped out of the lot with the trailers down a little road and into the one next to it.  Seeing it closer in the dark I realized it was the Cruella DeVil car, impossible not to know what it was if you've ever seen the Disney movie 101 Dalmations.  I approached the guy getting out of it and asked him if I could take a photo to which he said no, they don't want it seen until it's on screen.

I can tell you it's awesome, right down to the fuzzy red and pink interior.

Amazing.

Not a bad welcome to my new community.



Created with flickr slideshow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates